Sunday, December 15, 2013

Oh My Tush!

By Marees Niña S. Legson

I can still remember how my parents used to enforce discipline; whenever I did something wrong during my childhood, my mother would calmly point out my mistake, and would then proceed to talking some sense in me. Yeah, my mom is very good at making me feel really guilty. As a matter of fact, even now that I am all grown up, she can still do so. I’ve never really received any harsh disciplinary actions from my parents, save for the few occasions where I’ve stepped my entire foot out of the line.

There was this one scenario; I was 5 or 6 years old then. I took my grandmother’s scissors and randomly cut off some parts of her hair while she was busy. I did that for no reason, and I just felt like it. My father was so mad at me; he chased me all around the garden and gave me a good spanking. Man, I can still remember how that belt felt against my tush. Needless to say, I have learned my lesson and you would not find me cutting any hairs from people’s heads anytime anymore.

The first thing that came to my mind when I heard about Maria Lourdes “Nancy” Binay’s Anti-Corporal Punishment Bill of 2013 was why? Is there any need for a law like this? What is this for? Sticks and rods (or belts in some cases) had always been a symbol of discipline for the Filipinos – a figure depicting rigid discipline and parental authority. Why take this away now, Mrs. Binay? What are you worried about? Are you worried about child abuse and exploitation? We already have R.A. 7610  for that. I am so against this bill that I would have to quote the Bible to support my stand: Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him. Proverbs 13:24

I am not saying that every child should be beaten. There is a BIG difference between abuse and discipline.  I personally believe that it is fine to use corporal punishment to discipline children as long as the punishment is “reasonable” in the circumstances.

Let’s be reasonable here. Not all children are the same. Some kids will listen and immediately follow. Sometimes you would need to repeat yourself many times before some sense sinks in, but some children need more than serious talks and firm words. Different illnesses need different medications. I think that this bill laid up by the Senator is not beneficial for our children, nor for our country and its ailments. Leave the disciplining to our parents, Mrs. Binay. You are not our mother.

More on Opinion: